I went to one of the free workshops “Casting Director, Agent, and Performer” for members of Spotlight in Chinatown yesterday. Some of the advice I have heard before and some I haven’t. So it was very useful, learning how to:
- Impress casting directors with my (self taped) auditions.
- Make good quality self tapes and showreels yourself without emptying your bank account by paying for a showreel company to do it for you, which could cost a lot of money. As an aspiring actor, you don’t have money to pay for those things you don’t really need if you can do it yourself.
- Find agent that is right for you, who believes in you, and once you do have an agent how to communicate with your agent on a regular basis since communication with your agent is very vital.
- Submit yourself to jobs on Spotlight.
- Utilise Spotlight to the fullest extent.
- Find the right roles for you.
- And many more.
It’s just one hour seminar from 6pm – 7pm. But for me, it was worth it since I am serious about my acting, writing, and directing careers so I always look for ways to acquire new expertise and wisdom, which can help move my careers forward. I also attend acting class regularly, to improve my acting skills, to meet fellow actors and make new connections or friends, and to keep my knowledge in acting and film industry current. So I do whatever I can to make my dreams come true and I enjoy every step I take because I love what I do. Each journey towards my goals is an adventure in itself. It’s also a challenge. I am not afraid of challenge. So it’s fine with me.